Writing a sympathy card may be one of the most challenging tasks that we undertake as adults, trying to find the words that will provide comfort in the face of devastating loss. When someone is experiencing the loss of husband or loss of a father, the words simply may not flow from your heart to the page. This is particularly true when you are sending a sympathy card for someone you don’t know well, because you may not be able to find the words to express your support. It’s important to note that there are no perfect words during a difficult time — all you can do is speak from the heart. Here are a few examples that may help you get started sharing your thoughts and feelings around loss.
Giving Offers of Assistance in a Sympathy Card
Many people find that words are not sufficient in the face of the loss of a father or loss of a husband, particularly for family members that are left behind. If you are able, the offer of assistance is likely to be much appreciated — but it’s best to be specific in what you can provide, and be sure to follow through.
- “We are thinking of you and your family and would like to help in any way that we can. I’ll contact you soon to determine the best times for us to bring dinner (or pick up kids, help with housework . . . ).”
When you are sending condolences after a loss, it’s perfectly acceptable to be brief yet heartfelt in your statements.
- “Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day.”
- “We are so sorry for your loss and will check in with you soon.”
- “May you feel surrounded by the love of friends and family during this emotional time”.
- “I will miss (a specific activity or time that you shared with their loved one).”
- “While words are never enough, know that we are wishing you comfort and peace.”
The staff at Mountain View Funeral Home and Cemetery are always available to help answer questions and provide assistance to your family during this emotional time. We hope that these thoughtful ideas will help you craft a message of comfort and support that your loved ones will appreciate for years to come. Contact us anytime at 480-832-2850 or via email to email@example.com to schedule your introductory conversation with one of our compassionate professionals.