The best funeral homes always find ways to help families who are grieving their loved ones. At Mountain View Funeral Home, we know that coping with grief during the holidays can be especially difficult. It may be a season of joy for others, but it can be challenging to find holiday cheer when you miss someone you love.
Your loss can be felt even more when you realize that your family traditions will not be the same without your loved one. But this realization does not have to be an excuse to skip your holiday traditions if they truly have meaning to you. In fact, family holiday traditions can lend themselves to new ways to honor your loved one’s memory. Here are some ideas we collected for your consideration:
- Prepare your loved one’s favorite meal or dish and serve it at your holiday dinner.
- Adorn your home with holiday decorations in your loved one’s favorite color or motif.
- Light a candle and spend some time each day reminiscing about special times shared with your loved one.
- Make a donation to your loved one’s favorite charity in their name.
- Plant a commemorative tree or bush in your yard.
- Visit your loved one’s gravesite or place of final rest.
- Hang a special ornament in honor of your loved one. At Mountain View Funeral Home, our annual Tree of Remembrance is also on display at our Mesa location and provides another way for you to remember your loved one during the holidays.
While we know that nothing can take the place of your loved one being with you during the holidays, it is still possible to include them in your celebration with new, meaningful traditions, such as those listed above.
But, these suggestions are not meant to cover up your grief. They are designed to help you as you grieve. Just remember that it can take time to get through the grieving process.
If you need to reach out for help, it is wise to do so. As one of the best funeral homes in the area for offering support, please know that we are here for you. We offer monthly grief support groups that can help you as you relate to others who also understand what you’re going through.
Contact us at Mountain View Funeral Home for more ideas on grief support during the holidays or any time.